Since the release of FIFA 22, players have encountered some issues that prevent them from playing the game properly. One of the problems that has affected most of the players is the volta bug that doesn’t work. To help you fix this error, I invite you to continue reading this guide that we have prepared for you.
What causes the VOLTA not working error in FIFA 22?
VOLTA is a game mode that was added in previous versions of FIFA and allows players to play fast-paced games of street soccer alone or with their friends. This bug interferes with gameplay, not allowing players to join any matches in VOLTA, displaying a message on the screen.
After many affected players reported this issue, we did a full investigation of this error and compiled a list of possible causes that could trigger this error:
- Server issues: In case you are trying to play the VOLTA game mode while there are server issues or the game server is undergoing maintenance and is interfering with the game, this could be the cause of the aforementioned error. If this scenario occurs, there is nothing you can do to fix it other than checking online for any reports by players who have also encountered server issues, and wait until EA developers fix the issue.
- The latest update is missing: Another possible cause that could trigger the VOLTA not working error is that your FIFA 22 is missing the latest available updates. Whether you’re playing the game on a PC or console, this could be fixed by checking for any available updates that you missed and installing them if you find any.
- Connection error: There is no real explanation as to why this error still occurs even after the game is patched, but clearly it does. Fortunately, you should be able to avoid this error by exiting VOLTA to the main menu (immediately after the error occurs), then immediately re-entering game mode and joining a game as quickly as possible.
- squad failure– Unfortunately for some users, this issue can also occur due to a bug that affects all squads attached to that EA account. In this case, you should be able to fix the problem by resetting all custom squads from the game settings menu.
How can I fix VOLTA mode error in FIFA 22?
Now that you know all the possible reasons that could cause your problem, here is a list of all the methods used by players to fix this error. Hopefully, it will also help you fix the problem:
Check if there is an ongoing problem with the server
Before jumping straight into the practical methods for this error, the first thing you need to do is make sure that the EA servers are not experiencing any issues. An ongoing server problem could interfere with your local installation.
If you end up discovering that the servers are down or undergoing maintenance, there is nothing you can do to fix the error. VOLTA not working because it is out of your control. All you have to do is wait for the developers to fix the problem themselves.
To make sure it’s not the servers that are causing VOLTA to crash, visit the EA page on Downdetector site to see if there are any affected players who have reported server issues in the last 24 hours.
In case you want to have a more detailed look at the FIFA 22 error, you can also consider visiting the FIFA Direct Communication Twitter page where you will find posts about any bugs happening to FIFA, if any.
In case you have confirmed that the VOLTA not working error is NOT caused by a server issue, please try the next potential solution outlined below.
Update the game to the latest version (PC and consoles)
It turns out that this error could be because the game is missing the latest update. This could be happening in case you are playing offline and this prevents your PC or console from installing the latest version or you just missed the latest available update.
Since then, EA has released a series of patches focused on making Volta mode more stable. To take advantage of them, you will need to update the game to the latest version available.
Depending on the platform you encounter the error on, the instructions will be different, so we’ve created sub-guides for each platform:
Update FIFA 22 on Origin (PC)
You must first make sure that you are logged into your account and that your account is online and not offline. After that, follow the steps below:
- Within the Origin app, click my game library to access the game library.
- Now that you’re inside the library, click FIFA 22, then click on the Settings button (gear icon) and click Update game.
- After verification is complete, your game will update if newer updates are found.
- When the latest update is installed, launch and test the game to see if the same error occurs.
Update FIFA 22 on Steam (PC)
In case you have the game on Steam, there are more steps you need to follow, but the guide is still easy to follow. Here are the steps:
- Make sure you’re signed in to the account you purchased FIFA 22 on.
- Now you need to access the game library and search for FIFA 22, then click on Properties.
- Once you are inside the FIFA 22 Properties menu, go to the section updates from the menu at the top.
- Now you must go where it says Automatic Updates and change the dropdown to Keep this game always updated.
Note: In case there are any pending updates for FIFA 22, they will start installing as soon as you save the changes.
- Now launch the game to see if you still encounter the same error.
Update FIFA 22 on Xbox One
In case you encounter the VOLTA not working error on Xbox One, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to the home screen of your Xbox One console.
- After that, access the tab my games and apps to go to your personal library.
- Within the library, select the section updates in the menu on the left side.
- After that, go to the menu on the right side and install all available updates for FIFA 22.
- When the FIFA 22 update is complete, launch the game and check if the error is fixed.
Update FIFA 22 on Xbox Series S/X
For Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X users, the update process is a bit easier. If this case is applicable for you, here are the steps:
- From the home screen of your Xbox console, highlight FIFA 22 and press the button Options in your controller.
- After that, select Manage game and add-ons.
- Inside the library, highlight FIFA 22 and access the update menu from the menu on the right.
- After that, select Update all and confirm the confirmation message, then wait until the updates are installed.
- When the update installation is complete, launch FIFA 22 and try the VOLTA game mode to see if your issue is resolved.
Update FIFA 22 on PlayStation 4
Similar to Xbox Series X and S, you can update FIFA 22 directly from the library menu using the vertical context menu. This is how you can do it:
- Go to the home screen of your PlayStation 4 system, access the Library using your controller.
- Once you’re inside the Library menu, find FIFA 22 in the list of games, then select it and press Search for updates in the vertical menu on the left.
- When the latest update for FIFA 22 is installed, launch the game to see if you still encounter the VOLTA not working error.
Update FIFA 22 on PlayStation 5
In case you have disabled automatic updates on your PlayStation 5 console in the past, here are the steps to install pending updates for FIFA 22:
- Go to the home screen of your PlayStation 5 console.
- After that, select Games in the upper left section of the screen.
- inside section Gamesscroll through the list of games until you find FIFA 22, then highlight it.
- After that, press the button Options in your controller.
- In the context menu that just appeared, select Search for updates and wait until the operation completes.
- Now launch FIFA 22 to see if the error is fixed.
In case this method did not work for you or you already have the latest FIFA 22 updates installed, move on to the next method.
Close VOLTA and rejoin immediately
The VOLTA not working error has occurred many times while players were trying to join to play VOLTA online. Some of them managed to fix this issue by closing the VOLTA game mode and then immediately rejoining.
As players suggest, you don’t have to close the app or restart the device you’re playing on, you just have to close VOLTA and go to the main menu, then instantly enter game mode again, and then invite your friends. and try to join a game.
They also say that the more time you spend in the VOLTA menu waiting for your friends to join, the higher the chances of encountering the same error again. So make sure your teammates join your invite as quickly as possible, and when they’ve all joined successfully, try to get into a game as quickly as you can.
Note: This method has proven to be efficient for both PC gamers and console gamers.
In case you have tried this method several times and the VOLTA game mode is still not working, please refer to the latest possible solution we managed to find.
Reset all squads
The last thing you can try to fix the VOLTA not working error is to try resetting all the squads in the game from the game settings.
Doing this will reset all changes you’ve made to teams to default, including any transfers you’ve made and players you’ve created and placed on teams.
Note: your VOLTA avatar will not be deleted after resetting all squads, so you don’t have to worry about that.
In case you don’t know how to reset all teams in FIFA 22, we have created a guide that will help you. This is how you do it:
- You need to start by launching FIFA 22, then wait until the game is fully loaded and you are on the main screen.
- From the main menu, navigate to the tab Customize, then select it.
- Now that you’re inside the section PersonalizeChoose edit teams and go where it says Reset all squads, then select it.
- You will need to confirm the decision, then all squads will be reset to default.
- After that, go back to the main menu and go to VOLTA, then select it and try to see if your problem is fixed.