Keeping a check on your processor temperature is probably one of the best things you can do to take care of your Windows computer. Modern CPU temperature gauges can help you do that.
The fact is that all PCs give off heat. However, it can only absorb a limited amount of heat, beyond which hardware damage can occur.
The processor is made up of many components, such as the hard drive, motherboard, and others, and it gets hot during operation. Heat is normal to the limit and can seriously damage the processor if left unregulated.
Therefore, an abnormal rise in temperature can cause a sudden stop of the system. Your performance may decline, which you or your colleagues may feel. In the worst case, heat can damage the motherboardmain chips, or other processor devices.
To prevent this and protect your system and its performance, you should monitor the processor of your computer with a tool that controls its temperature. Let’s take a look at this tool, its importance, who needs it, and then the best CPU temperature monitors.
You can also read:10 Best Apps To Measure Room Temperature
- What is a processor temperature monitoring program?
- Who needs to control the temperature of the processor?
- What is the normal temperature of the processor?
- Benefits of using CPU temperature monitors?
- 7 Best Programs to Measure PC Temperature
- Tips to keep your processor in good condition
What is a processor temperature monitoring program?
CPU temperature monitors are software tools that monitor CPU temperature, voltage, fan speed, battery, etc. and provide accurate information. Collecting sensor data can help find solutions to prevent CPU damage.
These tools have many useful features like
- Provides a high degree of customization.
- Provides detailed data about the hardware.
- Processor temperature in real time.
- Ability to monitor performance and usage.
To use these tools, perform the following simple exercise:
- Download CPU temperature monitoring software and install it on your Windows desktop or laptop.
- Open it on your computer.
- View temperature information
Who needs to control the temperature of the processor?
From casual computer users to busy professionals and gamers, CPU temperature monitoring can be a useful tool for everyone. There are many factors that can increase CPU temperature, such as:
- Use of high performance applications
- fan speed
- Malware attacks, viruses, Trojans, worms, etc.
Processor temperature monitors are useful for the following purposes in particular
- Players: they play high-end video games that require powerful computers. Thus, when they play video games, the temperature can rise. Also, players replace some components to make the computer more powerful and overclock for online games to run smoothly. This can lead to a further rise in processor temperature.
- Graphic designers: Just like gamers, graphic designers need powerful computers to complete the design process without wasting time.
- Professionals: Professionals who need to access their computers for many hours face the problem of overheating. They can also detect viruses such as macros and viruses that infect files and systems, Internet worms, network or mail worms, and Trojan horses such as rootkits and backdoors. All this can cause the processor temperature to increase.
What is the normal temperature of the processor?
There are three categories into which processor temperature can be divided:
- Normal: It can range from 45 to 50 degrees Celsius when the computer is sleeping.
- Half: The temperature can range from 70 to 80 degrees Celsius when the computer is used for intensive tasks such as video playback, graphics editing, video rendering, etc.
- High: When performing more intense tasks, the temperature can rise up to 80-100 degrees Celsius, increasing the temperature and the workload. At this temperature, the clock speed decreases. Therefore, it is important to control and reduce this temperature.
What to do when the temperature exceeds 80 degrees Celsius?
- Check if your computer is free of dust and if the fan works under a given load.
- Make sure your computer is in a cool room, as too high temperature and humidity in the room are also dangerous for the computer.
- Stop overclocking or throttling your Windows processor. This is because overclocking increases the performance of your computer and generates more heat.
- You can also apply thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink.
Benefits of using CPU temperature monitors?
1. Increase computer performance
An increase in the amount of heat generated by the processor affects the performance of your computer. It may become slower as you work, which may affect its performance. Thus, with a CPU temperature monitor you can make sure that your computer runs at its optimal speed.
2. Prevention of thermal damage to the computer
Excessive heat can cause serious damage to the system unit and its components. This causes malfunctions and sudden blackouts to occur. The CPU temperature monitor can detect this temperature and allow you to take preventive measures in time to avoid possible damage.
3. Extension of the useful life of computers
Assume that a CPU temperature monitor can be used to protect your processor from excessive heat, humidity and other damaging factors. In this case, it will prolong the life of your computer system.
4. Guaranteed data center reliability and uptime
To optimize the uptime and reliability of your data center, the environmental conditions must be favorable. This includes recommended values for temperature, power, humidity, etc. Therefore, you need to monitor your server room with internal and external sensors.
Let’s take a look at some of the best CPU temperature monitors that will help you regulate the heat of your computer’s processor for maximum performance, longevity, and reliability.
7 Best Programs to Measure PC Temperature
If you are concerned about the temperature of your computer’s processor, you can try Core Temp, the latest version to monitor it. It is a compact, reliable, small and simple program to monitor processor temperature and other information.
Shows the temperature of each processor core in the system. Allows you to see real-time temperature changes under various loads. It is motherboard independent, and each processor core has a digital temperature sensor.
The DTS provides higher resolution and temperature readings more accurate than traditional thermal sensors. DTS is found in modern x86 processors from AMD, VIA, and Intel. Core Temp is simple and easy to use and offers a high degree of scalability and adaptability.
Core temp has a platform for plug-ins and add-ons that add new features to its functionality. If you want to monitor the processor temperature remotely, this is possible on both Windows and Android phones. The latest version has a graphic display, a list of memory usage and CPU usage/temperatures.
Download CoreTempTM and Core Temp Gadget for get more accurate color information, size and text. The new version adds support for AMD Zen 2 and Zen 3 processors, Intel Rocket Lake, provisional Alder Lake, Meteor Lake APUs.
Download the tool and check a lot of important information on the go. It is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Server 2016, Server 2012, Server 2008, and Server 2003 and supports x86 processors from Intel, AMD, and VIA.
The NZXT CAM is the most Suitable for monitoring the CPU temperature of your gaming PC. You can manage temperature, peripherals, and performance from a single app. It is a powerful, easy to use and fast application that allows you to monitor everything on your PC.
NZXT CAM allows you to see what is happening on your PC, from CPU utilization to bandwidth usage. Also you can see what applications are running on each PC and quickly diagnose problems to improve your PC’s performance.
When you’re in a game, temperature, bandwidth, FPS and more are monitored with a super stable, non-invasive overlay. NZXT CAM offers support for game time, current FPS, GPU/CPU temperature, battery level, GPU/CPU load, and much more.
Offers a beautiful and intuitive user interface that allows you to control fan speed, power supply voltage, chassis lighting, and much more. Download the latest generation CAM software and start monitoring your CPU temperature.
Do you want to know why your computer gets too hot? Speccy has the information you need. It is a light, advanced and fast information tool for your computer. Speccy is the place to get a quick or deeper look at your PC hardware to make purchasing and upgrade decisions.
You’ll find all the details in one interface, saving you time searching for stats like motherboard, processor, graphics cards, RAM, and more. Check the temperature of critical components before problems occur.
Results can be saved as XML, text files, or screenshots to share with others. View your computer’s specifications to determine if a problem requires diagnosis.
this tool can help improve computer performance no need to upgrade hardware. Download the free version for advanced users or purchase the tool for more features. For more information about this program you can read this article Speccy which shows you more detailed features.
4. Open Hardware Monitor
OpenHardwareMonitor it is open source software which can monitor your computer’s speed, load, clock frequency, voltage and temperature sensors. It is compatible with many motherboard hardware monitoring chips.
Reads AMD and Intel processor core temperature sensors to monitor processor temperature. Also shows the sensors of Nvidia and ATI graphics cardsas well as SMART and hard drive temperature sensors.
Values can be displayed in the main taskbar window and on a customizable desktop device. Open Hardware Monitor works on Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 64, 32, 7, 8 and x8.1 based on 10 and Linux 86-bit operating systems without installation.
It also introduces new features and bug fixes. It can now recognize the IT8655E, IT8686E, and IT8665E I/O superchips and has improved labeling support for AMD CPUs and GPUs. Fan speed calculation has also been improved for the Nuvoton NCT679XD Super I/O.
The tool works with Microsoft Windows and with version 4.5 of the .NET Framework. Download the zip file with the program, unzip it to install it and start monitoring it.
Do you want to check the temperature, fan speed and voltage of your PC? Try HWMonitor, a hardware monitoring program that allows you to read the status of the sensors of your computer system. It is suitable for standard sensor chips, such as Winbond IC, ITE IT87 series, and others.
You can read GPU temperature on graphics cards, CPU temperature on Die-Core temperature sensors, and HDD temperature via SMART. HWMonitor supports Intel Alder LakeDDR5 memory and Z6xx platform and uses the latest version 1.44 for Windows with AMD Ryzen 5300G, 5300G and 5600G APUs.
It is also compatible with AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and 6900 XT GPUs. The new version adds support for GDDR6 memory and hot spot temperatures for NVIDIA GPUs. Works with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You can download an .exe file to install or a zip file to unzip and install on your computer.
HWiNFO is a professional information and diagnostic system for tasks such as hardware analysis, reporting and monitoring for DOS and Windows. Always get detailed information about your hardware with the latest standards and technology.
In addition, you can thoroughly check system components for expected errors and current status, and customize the interface using various options. Full reporting access with multiple reports, interaction with various plug-ins and tools, and status logging.
Supports processors, graphics cards, and chipsets from the AMD and Intel families. Also helps detect overclocking, loss of power and overheating. The tool also checks various hardware and system parameters such as GPU, CPU, peripherals, drives, motherboards, etc.
The result can be exported as CSV, HTML and XML reports. In addition, various forms are shown as tables, OSD menus, taskbar icons, etc. Download the software and start analyzing what is happening on your PC.
Looking for an advanced system diagnostic, benchmarking and reporting solution for enterprise IT engineers and technicians? Choose AIDA64. It has a hardware detection engine which provides detailed software information, diagnostic help, and overclocking capabilities.
It also monitors sensors for accurate temperature, fan speed and voltage readingswhile the diagnostic function helps you detect and prevent hardware problems.
The tool provides benchmarks to measure the performance of individual devices and the system as a whole. Furthermore, AIDA64 Engineer is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windowsincluding Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10.
It includes more than 50 pages of information about hardware configuration, installed programs, security applications, Windows settings, and software licenses. Performs system stability tests using a multithreaded stress module.
Also includes stress tests for hard drives, GPGPU OpenCL graphics adapters, and Solid State Drives to ensure accurate results every time. SensorPanel helps you create a custom dashboard, perfect for your project, to monitor all indicators, usage, cooling system and much more.
The latest version supports VFD and LCD displays and remotely monitors sensor values on tablets and laptops.
AIDA64 displays measurement values on the display panel, desktop device, Razer SwitchBlade LCD, Logitech G15/G19 LCD Gaming Keyboard, and system tray icons. Requires an Intel Pentium processor or higher80 MB of free space, and a Windows operating system.
Tips to keep your processor in good condition
- Clean your computer system regularly, including the fans and the room it’s in, to make sure there’s no dust that could increase the temperature of your processor.
- Keep your computer away from windows or vents that can attract dust particles.
- Regularly scan your computer for malware to prevent malicious programs, viruses, worms, Trojans, etc. from entering it.
- It is important to keep drivers up to date for devices to function optimally.
- Remove obstacles that obstruct the flow of air through the computer.
- Be careful when overclocking your processor.
- If possible, add more fans.
- Upgrade your CPU fan if the one you have no longer works.
- If your computer is used for gaming or other intensive applications, use a liquid cooling system.
Too high a temperature can seriously damage your computer. It can be caused by dust, viruses, playing high-end video games, or other strenuous tasks. In any case, take care of your computer and avoid overheating of the processor with the best tool to control the temperature of the processor and improve its performance, durability and reliability.
You can also read: How To Check Temperature On Mac – Solution And Alternatives