Do you want to know how to fix the green screen on video on Windows 10? It can be irritating when a green screen appears on the video you are watching. The green screen typically develops due to issues with your device’s graphics processing unit (GPU).
Also, you may face green screen issue when playing videos in VLC player and Windows Media Player. All of these cases may seem overwhelming, but they can be resolved once you follow the steps provided here. You can also prevent a green screen from appearing in your videos by considering the tips in this article. Stay with us
- Part 1: Why do I get green screen on videos?
- Part 2: How to fix green screen on videos
- Solution 1. Fix Green Screen on Videos with Wondershare Repairit
- Solution 2. Fix Green Screen on Videos with Windows Media Player
- Solution 3. Fix Green Screen in VLC
- Solution 4 – Disable your hardware acceleration:
- Solution 5 – Update your graphics card driver:
- Solution 6 – Run the Windows troubleshooter
- Solution 7 – For videos on YouTube
- Part 3: Avoid Video Green Screens on Windows and Mac
Part 1: Why do I get green screen on videos?
There are several reasons for green screen videos including:
You may also be interested in reading about: Audio And Video Out Of Sync In Windows 10: 19 Solutions
1. Green screen on videos due to expired graphics card drivers:
Graphics card issues can be the main factor responsible for green screen in videos. This happens when the graphics drivers are out of date and thus can no longer support efficient rendering and playback of videos on your device.
GPU rendering is simply the use of a graphics card to render features such as videos. If the drivers are not as up to date as your operating system, then the green screen error is increasing.
2. Green screen on videos because Flash player is not supported
This happens when the Flash you are playing your video from is not powerful enough to support the video, especially when the video quality is high. Also, the green screen error can occur due to poor performance of your computer hardware caused by damage or corruption.
3. Green screen on videos by unreliable third party software
Software from another source, when used on your system, may cause system errors, resulting in a green screen on videos. This is even more true when malware or the like end up on your system when you download third-party software. It could even be a virus accompanying the software itself.
4. Other factors for video green screen error by
Other factors responsible for green screen in videos include corrupted or damaged video files, errors that occur while downloading and transferring videos, corrupted operating systems, as well as bugs in media playback programs.
Part 2: How to fix green screen on videos
In this part you will find different solutions to try to fix the green screen error of your videos
Solution 1. Fix Green Screen on Videos with Wondershare Repairit
Wondershare Repairit is a product published by Wondershare, which allows you to fix your video errors on all devices. Also, this tool is unique in that it allows you not to lose your video files after repairing them. This tool repairs videos for various formats such as MOV, FLV, AVI, MKV, 3GP, among others. Repair videos in two ways:
You can even use its advanced repair mode to improve the quality of video repair. This mode uses data from a sample video to repair your damaged file. Recoverit analyzes the video structure and learns how the damaged video works, which has the same format as the sample video, and thus repairs the corrupt videos.
Video files that got corrupted during the video conversion, editing or transfer process can be repaired with Wondershare Repairit. You can follow the steps below to fix green screen on videos using this tool:
- Step 1: Add the damaged video files. Move your damaged video files to Wondershare Repairit interface by running “Add video and start repair“.
- Step 2: Starts the video repair process. Click on the “video repair” to start the process of repairing the video files you have added.
- Step 3: Preview and save. The progress bar will indicate when the repair process is complete. Preview the video file and save it to your desired location.
- Step 4: Add a sample video for “advanced repair“. After adding a sample video, Wondershare Repairit will use your information as a benchmark to repair your severely damaged video file.
NOTE: The sample video file must be in the same format as the damaged video file. Also, both must be from the same device. Therefore, they have the same video elements that Recoverit can use for further analysis and repair.
- step 5: Add sample video files. This is an optional step. You can only continue with this step if your video is not repaired after the initial repair above. For heavily damaged video files, it is important to add and repair the damaged video again. Now make a backup of the files.
Solution 2. Fix Green Screen on Videos with Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player is the default video and audio player in the Windows operating system. If you see a green screen on your videos during playback in Windows Media Player, you can fix them using the following solutions.
Modify the parameters.
The steps to change Windows Media Player settings are as follows:
- Step 1: Start Windows media player. Go to the menu bar “Tools“, choose “Options“. Press the key “Alt” on your keyboard.
- Step 2: Choose “Performance“. Go to the box next to “Enable DirectX video acceleration” and uncheck it.
Update your codecs
- Step 1: Visit the Microsoft website, download the “codecs“.
- Step 2: Download the installation file that you will later use to install the codecs you downloaded.
- Step 3Note: In this solution, you can also use codecs from a third party and not necessarily from Microsoft directly.
Make sure DirectX is up to date
- Step 1: Press the keys “Win” + “R”.At the command prompt, type: dxdiag. Press the key “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Step 2: Navigate to the popup window and locate where the version of DirectX is displayed; take note of it.
- Step 3: Go to your browser and visit the official website of DirectX. If there is a newer version of the program than you know of, you should download it.
- Step 4: Open the file you downloaded and install it on your PC.
Re-register Windows Media Player
- Step 1: Start the “symbol of the system” from your system as an administrator
- Step 2: In this interface, type “regsvr32 wmvdecod.dll“, then press “Enter” on your keyboard.
You should note that this solution is limited to videos played on Windows-based systems and devices only. It means that for other operating system based systems like Mac, you cannot fix green screen with this solution. However, read on to learn how to fix green screen on all devices and still recover all your lost video data.
Solution 3. Fix Green Screen in VLC
VLC is a free media player capable of supporting playing different media files with ease. Being a media player, you cannot use the following methods for videos on CD, for example. You can fix the green screen in VLC by following the steps below:
Install the latest version of VLC.
Please uninstall VLC from your computer and try to reinstall it, before playing the videos again.
Modify your VLC settings:
To do this on Windows, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Click “Tools” in the menu, then select “preferences“.
- Step 2. Define the option “See all parameters” before choosing the module “Video“> “Departure“. For newer versions of Windows (since XP), try the output modules “DirectX 3D“, “OpenGL“, “DirectX” Y “windows gdi video“.
- Step 3: Restart your VLC to play properly without the green screen error.
Disable hardware acceleration.
Go to VLC media player preferences and disable video acceleration; An older computer may cause this error from a video card that cannot support recent high-quality video. Read the files by restarting the app.
If you’re not using VLC or WMP to play your videos, or the players can’t fix your green screen problem, you should turn to Wondershare Repairit to solve the problem.
Solution 4 – Disable your hardware acceleration:
It is commonly used as an online solution for green screens in videos. The steps differ between browsers.
For Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge:
- Step 1: Go to “Search“, write “Internet Options” and choose from the menu.
- Step 2. Go to the “Advanced“. In “accelerated graphics“, check the box next to “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering*“. Choose “Apply” and click “To accept“. Your changes will be saved.
- Step 1: Choose “Menu“. Click “Options“.
- Step 2: In the section “General“, go to “Performance” and uncheck the boxes “Use recommended performance settings” Y “Use hardware acceleration when available“.
- Step 3: Close the tab “Options” and hardware acceleration will be automatically disabled.
For Google Chrome:
- Step 1. Click “Menu” and select “Setting“.
- Step 2. In the options of “Setting“, Choose “Advanced“.
- Step 3. In the section “System“, disable the option”Use hardware acceleration when available“.
- Step 4. Close the tab “Setting” and then restart your Google Chrome.
Solution 5 – Update your graphics card driver:
To update your graphics drivers in Windows, make sure you are logged in as “Administrator”. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Press the Windows key (Win) + r
- Step 2: Write the combination: devmgmt.msc. Press the key “Enter“.
- Step 3: In the list of “Display adapters“, right-click on the option “Graphics” and Select “Properties“.
- Step 4: In the “Controller“, Choose “update driver“.
- step 5: Choose “Automatically search for updated driver“.
- step 6: Let the on-screen instructions guide you through the update process.
Solution 6 – Run the Windows troubleshooter
You can run your PC troubleshooter to fix green screen in Windows 10 by following these steps:
- Step 1: Press Win + S to open the search box; write “control Panel“. Choose the option “Control Panel” from the menu.
- Step 2: In the window “Control Panel“, go to “Problem solving“.
- Step 3: Choose “Show everything” in the left pane.
- Step 4: Choose “hardware and peripherals“.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process and resolve your video’s green screen issue.
Solution 7 – For videos on YouTube
For persistent green screen on YouTube videos, try to change the video quality so that your device can easily support it. Proceed as follows.
- Step 1: Open your browser and watch the desired YouTube video
- Step 2: Click on the icon “Gear” and in the menu, select “Quality“.
- Step 3: You can now select a different video quality than the default.
Part 3: Avoid Video Green Screens on Windows and Mac
It’s great to know how to fix green screens on your system, but it’s even better to know how to prevent green screen from covering your videos in the first place. Here are some tips:
1. Windows Computer Tips Against Video Green Screen
- Be sure to update your PC’s graphics drivers every time you update your Windows operating system. This is important because when you play your videos on a computer that uses outdated graphics drivers that are incompatible with the latest version of Windows, there are likely to be video file corruption issues that can cause your screen to turn green.
- Use good flash drives and disks to avoid video corruption. Use players that can handle higher quality videos.
- Play your videos in another media player instead of Windows Media Player all the time.
- Regularly get rid of all the data in your cache to remove the junk that could be a bug for your system.
- Always update your browser to the latest version, so you can handle the latest enhanced features of online videos.
2. Tips for Mac on playing videos
Here you can learn about: Methods to Cut Videos in Sony Vegas – Complete Guide
- Use other browsers to play your videos online. This is possible in a situation where a particular browser has a habit of displaying a green screen when you watch videos on it.
- When watching videos online, make sure other tabs and windows are closed so activities in those open windows don’t cause errors and affect the video you’re playing.
- Be sure to regularly delete all cookies and temporary files saved on your Mac. This frees up space for your system.
- Restart your computer whenever you have used it for a while and want to play a video. Sometimes simply restarting your computer will get your video working fine again after an error.
- Having seen that it is possible to fix green screen videos for Mac and Windows, you should have no reason to worry. You can prevent a green screen from appearing on your system by taking the precautions outlined above.
As you can see, these are the solutions and tips that you can use when the green screen appears while playing your videos. Remember that many times this error can be resolved just by restarting your PC. We hope have helped you with this information.